zondag 10 september 2017

That took some time!

I should have done this a lot earlier. I've neglected my blog way to long. Shortly after my former post, some months ago, a few unexpected things happened in my live. At that moment, I stopped having time for wargaming and/or painting. Interest was also (temporary) fading.

When I had more time again for my hobby, we (wife & me) went on a planned vacation, so again no games nor painting. I did read some books while on vacation! One of which is part of the famous "Wargaming in History" range. It was part 8, The Austro-Prussian War. Very interesting, even if not my period. The battles replayed here really got me thinking about the way I play my games, and how to improve them. At that moment I was sorry I didn't have a few miniatures and paints with me...

It was already july when I could finaly pick up a paint brush, and start to play games again.
So the next few blog posts will be about what I did do since that last post in ... april. Not necessarily in chronological order.
Games, yes! That's what it is all about isn't it?
So why not start with a few pictures of recent games?

Recently we fought two different battles, using Armati II as rules. We used the "intro" scheme, because we wanted a game with two armies against two others, and used a 4' x 8' table.
For those who don't know the rules, it is a bit like DBA, in that each base is a unit on its own, but for the rest gameplay is totaly different, and may I say: more interesting. Armies are also slightly larger, around 14 to 20 bases.

A few photo's maybe? They are made with my smart phone, so quality is a bit less. The light is also far from perfect in our local clubhouse.

 Battle line of Pyrrhus with a smaller army of Galatians as allies.

 Battle line of the Late Macedonian army (with the same points value of the other armies together).

 Cavalry action at the flank!

The two phalanxes just before they clash.

The Galatians broke through on several places, taking a flank and and ending the battle.
The counters and minidice in the photo's are used to keep track of hits being taken, fatigue and undressed (loosing discipline) state of units.

A week later, a second battle was fought, this time a slightly more unhistorical battle between a Pyrrhic army with Carthaginian allies against a Antigonid force. At the end, the Antigonids won a very narrow victory. There was lots of action, with four elephant units on the table!
But see for yourself.

Battle lines before the start of the game.

Pyrrhus elite cavalry fight it out against Antigonid cavalry.

Antigonid elephants try to break through on the opposite flank.

Another photo of elephants, both from the excellent Aventine range.

Well, I hope you like the new blogpost. Soon much more!



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten